Sunday, June 29, 2008

Rhea's Biscuit Blanket


The biscuit blanket if finished! I really love the pattern and have enjoyed this project. It went faster than I thought it would, so I'm sure I will be making more soon. I just wish the yarn had some green in it to go better with Rhea's color schemes--I thought it did when I choose it : (
Here is the recipe from "Firefly"s blog for "Firefly's Blue Ribbon Biscuits"
2 C flour
4-1/2 tsp double acting baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter
2/3 C buttermilk, plus you might need a bit extra depending on the humidity, and your flour
Mix the dry ingredients together. Cin in the butter until it is in small flakes or balls. I do this by hand with a fork because you don't want the butter mixed in too completely. This is very important for the flakiness. Gradually stir in the 2/3 C buttermilk. Do not overmix. With biscuits you want to mix as little as necessary to preserve the flakiness.
If the dough has pulled together into a soft dough, you have added enough liquid. If not, splash a bit extra buttermilk (maybe 1 to 2 Tbsp worth) a bit at a time mix JUST ENOUGH to form soft dough.
Turn out onto floured board and knead very gently 6 to 10 times.
Form into a ball; roll out to about 1/2" thickness.
Use a 2" biscuit or cookie cutter cut biscuits out. Mash scraps back together gently and cut more biscuits.
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown on top.

No comments: